Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Saying Goodbye to a Dream

For the past few years I've been giving up another dream besides having another child.

It's my dream of being a classroom teacher.

It's so hard to type these words because they've only been in my mind- racing incessantly round and round.  I've spoken them only to a few very trusted people.  Thought them and spoken them so much that now I'm ready to make them a bit more real by putting them in writing.

Right now,  I am following my dream of being a classroom teacher.  That is what I do and what I am.  And, I love it.  I work in a beautiful school with beautiful children and beautiful families and beautiful colleagues.

But.

It's just not working anymore and it will only get harder.

The system I worked in used to be good and positive and full of common sense.

It still has many of these aspects because of the people who work so hard each and every day.  But, the federal law and high stakes testing have infiltrated our little district out here in the heartland.

I used to believe in major initiatives and was enthusiastic.

Now my class size is 28.  It used to be 20.  I work in a high poverty area so having 8 more kids is a huge difference.

We are adopting the Common Core Standards which for many reasons, I can't seem to fully embrace.

In 2016, my evaluation will be tied to how my students perform on a test that is linked to these standards.

I want to ramp up and rise to the challenge.  I want to fight.

But, I think God is calling me in a different direction.

He's whispering to me that the fight is not mine to fight.  It's meant for someone else.

He is not being loud and clear like he usually is during tough decisions.

But, I think he wants me to make this decision for myself.  Because I'm strong enough now.  I've died to myself enough that I can see the strength in it.  I still have more dying to do- obviously since this post is all about me, me, me, me.

I'll probably be in my position for another year or two.  I will probably move into a special education resource position.  Still a challenging position, but one with a bit more flexibility and more suited to my God given talents.

I will very, very, very sadly say goodbye.

It was a good run.

The plan was to change jobs if I had a baby.  Now, I'm looking to change anyway which just seems to pour salt in the wound of not being able to get pregnant.

God, help me accept your will and hear your voice among the sadness and grief.  Give me strength to BE NOT AFRAID.  Help me remember that my value is not measured by my position or my marriage or how many children I have.  You love me and want what is best for me.  I love you.






8 comments:

  1. prayers that you will joyfully accept His will and continue to radiate His love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for you in this time of transition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so hard. I can't imagine being a teacher with all of the tests and standards you are evaluated on. I really think that must take a lot of the joy out of teaching. Praying for you as you continue to contemplate and discern future job directions. Your prayer at the end of your post is spot on, in my opinion. Exactly what I needed to read today! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you are talking about and that is why I'm making the change myself. It's tough. I'm sure there are going to be many teacher's leaving the profession due to all of the expectations and craziness. I work with at-risk youth as well and you are right...eight more kids is ALOT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the quiet voice is still insistent enough to be very obvious. Praying for you as you continue to work on figuring out where all of this will take you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry this comment is so late, I am so behind on my blog reading!

    Wow, how this post resonated with me. Especially this line: "He's whispering to me that the fight is not mine to fight. It's meant for someone else." I've face a situation like this twice and it is so. so. hard.

    And yes, the most recent time it meant making a change that wasn't supposed to happen without a baby. And, if I'm honest, probably wouldn't have happened with a baby. So hard in the moment. So bittersweet. And yet, has proven to be best.

    Keeping you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. An interesting article to read,, Introduce me to promote the best blogs that write content about Catholic Daily Devotionals Blog.
    to read visit blogevan.com Jesus Bless You. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete